Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Why hot Miss Kansas Theresa Vail is trending now?


Theresa Vail will break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don't compete in pageants


ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Miss Kansas Theresa Vail says she wants to break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don't compete in pageants. So during the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition on Tuesday, Vail revealed two tattoos — the Serenity Prayer on her right side and the insignia of the U.S. Army Dental Corps on her left shoulder. She is believed to be the first contestant in the history of the pageant to do so.




On Wednesday night, she began the talent portion of the competition by singing an operatic piece from Puccini. That decision has generated national attention, including a profile in People magazine. The preliminary portion of the pageant begins Tuesday in Atlantic City, N.J.

“I am writing this post just weeks away from competing for Miss America because I do not want to shock the nation when I’m seen in a swimsuit, bearing my marks. I want to explain the meanings and reasons behind them, and why I am opting to show them proudly,” Vail wrote on her blog in August. Vail, who is a 22-year-old student at Kansas State, is a member of the Kansas Army National Guard’s Medical Detachment, an avid bowhunter and an expert marksman. One of her tattoos is the “Serenity Prayer,” which runs on her right side.



“I was growing up amidst the bullying and neglect, I found myself asking God on a daily basis to give me peace in knowing I cannot change certain things about myself, but also asking Him to give me the strength to change things that I had the power to. Praying to Him for these characteristics got me through my adolescent years, high school and boot camp. When I was 20 years old, I knew I wanted to always be reminded of my past and its connection to this prayer. Thus, I chose to have it tattooed onto my body. I have no regrets,” the blog explains.

Her second tattoo, on her shoulder, relates to her military service.
“The second is the military medical insignia. Though much smaller than the prayer, the significance is just as great. Since I was a child, God placed a strong passion for service into my heart. Service to my Country, and service to people through medicine. In the middle of this symbol is the letter ‘D’ to represent my dad, whose influence was paramount in choosing this career path,” she wrote.
On the blog, she defended her decision to leave the tattoos visible:
“Why am I choosing to bear my tattoos? Reference A; my platform! Empowering women to OVERCOME stereotypes and break barriers. What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink. With my platform, how could I tell other women to be fearless and be true to themselves if I can’t do the same? Now, had my platform been something entirely different, maybe the tables would be turned. Maybe. But I am who I am, tattoos and all.”
Vail, who won the Miss Kansas title after winning Miss Leavenworth County, is attempting to be the first Miss America from Kansas since 1997, when Tara Dawn Holland, of Overland Park, won.

0 comments:

Popular Posts

 

Copyright © Hot Trending Celebrity Scandals Design by BTDesigner | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger